Monday, May 5, 2014

RRCA convention Spokane

This past week I attended the RRCA annual convention and the coaching certification cohort.  It was an informative course with two great instructors, Cari and Randy.  It was lovely to leave a 28 degree Montana and arrive in 76 degree Spokane.  In the coaching cert class, I was the only one that was not part of a group/club/organization.  Part of my plan is to implement one in Livingston and also I would like to start a youth program that runs more consistently, not just several weeks out of the year.  There were all "levels" of runners in the group as well.  I dislike the term levels, but from lack of sleep my brain isn't functioning enough to come up with the appropriate word.  Alas, i digress...  It was interesting to have the different strengths in the class, long distance vs. speed etc.  

Upon attending the convention/social part of the weekend, people inevitably began discussing times.  As runners, we are for the most part numbers people, I get it.  But as Randy mentioned several times in class, "We are all running from something, some people just faster than others."  This thought kept popping into my head when people discussed their times.  I personally have never been this out of shape in my life.  I am at the end (thanks for motivating me runners!) of a running hiatus and just had a very busy winter.  Some people make excuses for others times, "they don't have kids, work blah blah..."  It all comes down to choices.  And what you are running from... (again with the preposition at the end of the sentence, sorry).  Maybe that faster person isn't in such a "happy" place and therefore they are eeking out positives from their running?  You chose to have children, so that is an invalid excuse to me.  I chose to put my free time into helping with the studio (it was a financially driven choice as well :)).  And then there is also the topic of genetics.  

I thoroughly enjoy being in the presence of running greatness.  It doesn't evoke something in me that makes me start degrading my own running history or future.  I fully understand what it takes to be an amazing athlete and can appreciate it.  I also understand the sacrifices.  Maybe this is my age, but I feel fortunate in my life.  I have a successful business, am able bodied and healthy and for the most part can do what I enjoy.  I don't have a desk job that I dread, etc.  And then when someone says they are embarrassed to say their time in a marathon; this saddens me too.  We all know the effort to accomplish the task, so maybe it isn't the fastest time but it is still 26.2 MILES!  Way to go!

So maybe before you degrade yourself, or worse, someone else for their good/bad time you should ask yourself why it evokes such a strong reaction.  I also tend to look at the big picture.  I have been running since I was nine.  I want to be running when I am 90, so if I fall off the wagon for a few months due to burn out/life I know I will be back.  Also, it is fun to take a few months off and try something new.  As a trainer I am NOT saying to stop being active, but it is okay to shake it up.  

Remember, if you don't make/keep it fun, you won't come back to it. This applies to all activities, not just running.

No comments:

Post a Comment