Monday, April 3, 2017

injured, but not sidelined!

So, I have been struggling with my hamstring having this adhesion or whatever is going on at the attachment.  It, however, hasn't really derailed me.  I can do all body weight exercises, run, bike, pilates, etc.  It is when i attempt heavy weights that i notice the imbalance.  I can use dumbbells just fine, however due to my wimpy arms, i only use up to 15 then i switch to bar or the machines. (more than 15 and my elbows and shoulders are too taxed).  i have been rehabbing the ham with relative success, not worsening, and slowly improving.  Yippee!

Until the other day...

I somehow pulled an abdominal muscle.  At first they thought pelvic floor, but now as it heals i am thinking psoas.  It was sudden and i was not able to even stand up straight.  Then every other muscle cramped and my left leg had no strength or sensation (nerve impinged by cramping muscles). It  is definitely improving each day, however I can barely raise arms overhead and even lifting my legs hurts, especially the left.  grrrrrrrrrrrr!  On top of this lack of mobility, i purchased a new reformer for the studio and am really looking forward to using it!  But i have been walking every day and doing LOTS of stretching.  and since my activity and intensity has been reduced, i am watching my intake.  I really believe you can maintain during the healing process.  It just takes diligence.  I was able to do a lot of floor exercises this am too.  There is always something you can do, even if that something is simply eating clean.

I am very thankful for the fundamental pilates exercises.  They are subtle, but effective, and more importantly, doable.  i NEED exercise for my mental health more than anything, and usually i crave the intensity, but i am thankful i can at least walk and do the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment