Saturday, December 28, 2013

My MUST HAVES for fitness

In this day with so much technology, it can be so overwhelming to begin a fitness program.  Do you have a GPS watch? A heart monitor?  The latest and greatest shoes? Technical fabric clothing? Are you taking the hottest new class?  There is a lot to think about and a lot of ways to start.  But it can be simple. 

 You need decent sneakers.  These can make or break how long you stay committed.  If your shoes hurt/cause blisters then you won't be putting them back on.  So go to your local running or sporting goods store and buy appropriate shoes for your activity and budget.  I like running and various cross training, and I have worn Nike all my life so I am loving the nike Lunar glides and the nike Free's for training.  I need more support and stability than a minimal shoe, but also like it light weight.

Buy GOOD socks.  You want some socks that fit right, that won't bunch up under foot, and have wicking properties.  I like my Nike Dri-Fits and Balega socks.  THese both work really well for me.  

Similar to the socks, you want clothing that you feel comfortable in (to motivate you to put it on!) and you may want it to have some wicking properties too, and quick dry etc.  I have some favorite companies based on fit and performance.  I love Nike legend dri fit ANYTHING.  I have the shorts, the capris, the leggings and love them all.  They have a flattering waist band, the fabric fits snug without creating bulges, it stays put too.  I also like Running skirts and skirt sports item.  Their sizes vary from product though, so be sure to read notes, they are great about letting you know how items run on their sites.  I also have a pair of Aaluuka leggings with an attached short skirt (more of a bum wrap) and these are AWESOME!  I wear them on colder running days, or at the studio, or casually.  They fit well, are flattering, stay put, and wash and dry great.  

Tops will have a lot of variety.  I like some technical fabrics, but some retain odors.  I have lots of Nike dri-fit tees and these are great because they don't feel/look like technical tees.  They look and feel like soft cotton, but they perform.  I have several Nike element dri fit long sleeve tops that have half zip and thumbholes.  these are staples for me that I wear almost everyday.  I am also a HUGE fan of the Nike sports bras.  I am not well endowed however so if one is, I would suggest moving comfort.  They have a clasp feature and aren't simply a pull over.  I do have a Victoria's Secret sports bra that is very flattering.  It has molded cups and so it doesn't create the pancake or uni-boob effect.  It also has held up while running a marathon.  I have several lululemmon items, and love everything I have.  I do feel you must try their stuff on at first to determine your size.  Although pricey, my lulu stuff has held up great and is very flattering.

This is all plenty to get you out the door or to a class.  However of course to help keep you going are the gadgets.  I have two gps watches and love both for various reasons.  I have a garmin and it is GREAT.  However i love the motivation from Nike+ so I love that my Nike gps connects to that.  Also the battery on my Nike watch lasts much longer.  You don't need to invest in a watch to be successful, their are lots of apps on smart phones that work just as well (Nike+, run it fast, etc).

I am also having a blast with my Fuelbandse.  It not only shows fuel earned but now you can see how many hours you were active (be active for 5 min every hour to "win the hour").  

Music.  I must have music at certain times.  I love the ipod because with my gps watch I don't need to carry the phone and I love my ipod that clips to my clothing.  No armbands here.  some people use their phone for all of this: gps, music, safety.  My battery didn't last very long while running all of this.  I have the nano ipod that looks like the shuffle but has a touch screen.  a lot of people didn't like this one and apple went back to the longer body (i had a later edition that died so I bought this from a friend).  I love it!  for running you can still have playlists, unlike shuffle, but you can simply double tap the button and it skips the song.  You don't have to illuminate screen, hit icon and hope you didn't bump something else, etc.  I love that it clips.  it weighs next to nothing and works great for me.  

These are my must haves.  Yours may differ.  But if you are a newbie, then begin with the basics.  And you can use new items for motivation.  For example, instead of rewarding yourself with food for hitting all your workouts this month, buy yourself a new pair of workout pants or a workout outfit.  When I receive new items it makes me want to put them on and put them to use! 

good luck and let me know how it's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment